Monday, June 30, 2003

Fall on Your Knees

I finished "Fall on Your Knees" by Ann-Marie McDonald. There are no words. She's a remarkable writer. I'm reminded of "The Usual suspects"...that movie with Kevin Spacey, in the sense that the story evolves out of order, and yet wouldn't seem to make sense any other way. The story pulled me in so deep I couldn't distinguish the characters from reality. I had to tell myself that I was reading a book. The family stayed with me, I thought about them all weekend, at the farmer's market, at the mall and out to dinner. I was consumed by this book. It's perfect and breathtaking and...wonderous. Please read it...if only to have the experience.

"She thinks music is already out there floating around and it's up to us to give it an opening into our world so we can hear it. As though the world were full of music we can't hear with 'the naked ear'...the song is shimmering around me like air in the desert, and all I have to do is welcome it. So I closed my eyes and opened myself up and let the song pass through me..." from "Fall On Your Knees" by Ann-Marie McDonald