Tuesday, June 3, 2003

Chicago

Better late than never? I'm just getting around to chatting about the Gallery Cabaret in Chicago - it was great. Chicago was freezing cold, but there were 3 dogs in the bar (very friendly) and a surprising number of early attendees to the show. During set up I got to chat with some friends from high school who now live in Chicago - it was awfully sweet of them to drop in to say hi and check out the music. A last minute opener ended up on the bill and I apologize, but I can't recall the name of their band (sorry). Wonderful guitar sounds and a vibrant energy to their music. The vocals were a little soft, but we were set up for a night of acoustic music and just didn't have the time to redo everything. Still enjoyable for them and us. I wish them luck...it was their very first show!

Nancy Connelly played a lovely set and I'd like to take a moment to urge her to record!!! My favorite song of hers is called "Love on Command" - beautiful songwriting and a very sensual voice delivering the poetry. "Bloody Christmas" was a thought provoking ballad about war and she literally brought the house down. Chicago welcomed me back with open arms and if anyone is traveling through Bucktown near Western Ave, I strongly urge you to stop into the Gallery for an eclectic jukebox, wonderful drinks, live music and a good feeling of comfort. The 14 hours of back-and-forth driving was a little much, but worth it. I'm only bitching a bit because I turn around and head all the way out to the East coast on Friday. No worries though - I'm looking forward to it. My puppy kept me company and I got to have a quick visit with my lovely grandmother in Wisconsin. Now I need a book and some new music to kick my mind into creativity. Guess it's time for a trip to my local independent book seller, "Dreamhaven".