Friday, June 6, 2003

Random music and movies

: ""
Mr. Manager and I watched 8 Mile last night. Having lived in Detroit when I was very little I still recall some of the gross poverty and destitution of the inner city (while I didn't live IN the city, you couldn't avoid it) Anyway, I was impressed with the movie and with Eminem. Brittney Murphy was a strange casting choice for the girlfriend because I kept thinking to myself, 'what is that cute girl from Clueless doing having raunchy sex in an automobile factory?' But that's just my humble opinion : )

Since 'Slim Shady' was released I've developed a taste for Eminem's music. Having soaked up L'il Kim, Missy Elliot and DMX with a vengenace, I was more than primed for some cutting edge rap music (if you can even call it that). I love his music, I appreciate his honesty and am blown away by his ability to phrase. Lyrics and meaning are one thing, but irony, self deprication and a sense of humor mixed into one big song that people still want to listen to is damn near a miracle. Looks like I'll have to pick up 'The Eminem show' for the road...that should make for an interesting set of tour gigs, n'est pas?

I'm off on the road again tonight. Wish me luck and please come out to say hello and listen for a bit if you can. This tour is comprised of a bunch of new venues and I'm really excited to play. Once again, keep voting for me on www.grainbelt.com or www.annedeming.com (home page) for Local Legend of the Twin Cities. Say it with me..."FREE BEER!"