Saturday, May 14, 2005

damage control

Music: linkin park
Book: sweet revenge - roberts

Ugh, what a show in Mankato. Should I be concerned that I'm getting married on Friday the 13th? The Coffee Hag, one of my favorite venues to play was close to disaster last night - through no fault of the audience or club. Chadly and I were about 5 minutes late, which isn't that big of a deal except that I hate late musicians so I especially despise it when I become one. We set up in record time only to break a string at the end of my first set. I went through 3 packs of D'addario string and every "G" string (no pun intended) was unwoven or broken at near the ring. I tried up-tuning a D but to no avail. Then the audience chimmed in to see if they or any of their friends had a guitar or strings or knew anyone with an extra set etc etc...but no one did. We ended up cancelling after only one set and heading home. I felt terrible and people kept arriving all the way up until 10pm when Chadly and I left for Minneapolis. Mankato is so loyal and loving and supportive - this was the absolute worst place for a rotten show. I owe them more. Some people even stayed late after finals (Friday was the last day of classes/exams for KMSU) and our friendly djs from the college radio station stopped down as well. Absolutely chaos and dissappointment. I'm enjoying a glass of wine at the moment and wallowing in a certain sadness about last night. I'll find some way to make it up to everybody. I handed out a ton of free CDs, but I would have rather played. Well, I stocked up on a ridiculous amount of strings today and have opened each packet to check their quality. I cringe at the thought of a repeat. Rain continues in the Twin Cities, but Chadly, Jon and I are jamming tomorrow night. Can't wait.