Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Emmylou Harris - Stumble Into Grace

I just finished a CD review and thought I would post it on my journal as well hand it in. I finished writing another song last night too. It's called 'Something to Betray'; despite the title it's a happy song. Honest. The only problem is wanting to add all these new tunes to my CD next month. Don't worry...I'll figure it all out...

Emmylou Harris
Stumble into Grace

I know it’s girly but I have to say that the CD jacket for ‘Stumble into Grace’ is beautiful. After seeing Emmylou perform last year I was amazed at her poise and elegance. Well, that vibrant dimension of her character shows through in every picture, every promo, and every video clip. She’s a stunner, there’s no two ways about it. That being said…how she looks has nothing to do with her voice, but lucky for us – it fits. My exposure to Emmylou began with ‘Red Dirt Girl’. You might be wondering what hole I lived in during the 1990’s when ‘Wrecking Ball’ soared over mainstream radio. Uhm, I was still listening to Madonna. Needless to say, I’ve been making up for lost time. A word of warning though: fans of ‘Red Dirt Girl’ might be a bit surprised by the bare bones sound and soft production woven through the music. Emmylou’s voice is clear as a bell and somewhat eerie at times. Her knack for poignant lyrics that romanticize the mundane hook the listener with the usual degree of force, but her newest release is quite different from her previous recordings. Recently, she appeared to be moving towards pop music, but ‘Stumble into Grace’ yanks her back to folk with a vengeance. ‘Stumble’ is a beautiful creation full of life and vivid imagery. Well worth the listen and delightfully full of surprises. (Killer track: number four - Time in Babylon)
Home