Wednesday, January 7, 2004

First Ave

I just love Pastor Paul's Acoustic Garage Sale: vendors, music, friends and charity. What a combination, huh? The cold got in the way of a big, huge crowd, but there were still an admirable number of patrons downtown at the club last night. Playing a benefit gives me a warm fuzzy feeling - especially when it's local. The world might be in perpetual chaos but knowing that my time and talents are appreciated and can help out a good cause 6 BLOCKS FROM MY HOUSE makes all the difference. Baby steps. Baby steps...

The wonderful surprise of the evening was Alicia Corbit (not sure if I spelled that right) A petite woman went on stage around 10:30/11:00pm-ish and I was hooked on her voice. Alarm bells of recognition were sounding in my head during her set but I couldn't place the name or the voice. Finally someone was kind enough to point out that she used to be in a band called Tea and Sympathy. Aha! I have quite a few of their selected songs on city samplers and compilation CDs, but not a single Tea and Sympathy album. Amazing. I enjoyed the band, but Alicia solo acoustic was quite catchy. Imagine Kate Bush as a smoker and you've got this husky, intimate, soulful songstress. Beautiful.

Finally the head cold took over and Mr. Manager and I headed home. But what a night to remember. I'm already looking foward to next year.

Band rehearsal later on today. Can't wait.