Monday, July 7, 2003

Busy

My parents stayed for the weekend, Mr. Manager had the flu and I played 2 brutal gigs at Keegans Irish Pub in Minneapolis. The fourth of July brings out an interesting (shall we just cut to the chase and say drunk?) crowd. I was almost run over by a man in a wheelchair doing pop-a-wheelies, a drunk Bachelorette tried to steal my guitar and sing a few tunes and a rather loud table next to me kept asking for a sweet song to make them cry. Unfortunately, I had to point out the sad fact that I am anything but sweet. On the plus side, Keegan's has a fabulous wait staff who handled everything smoothly and made my weekend worth while.

I've said before that on any given night of the week I would rather be playing a gig that not. It's always better to gig! Though sometimes, the pain and effort isn't worth the money. This fourth of July weekend was just rough... and I should have known that. So I feel that I need to apologize to the very loyal fans and friends who stopped down to Keegans, only to leave within minutes due to the crowds, noise and drunken behavior. As an artist I appreciate the support when you came down, but also the need to leave because you weren't enjoying the show. I did run into a friend from high school and was able to close out the gig with a drink at the bar surrounded by friends old and new. No regrets for the weekend.

In other news...it looks like I'll be sharing some Midwest gigs with Cat Kinsey from Seattle this August and maybe out west in the fall.

P.S. I finished Pat Conroy's book "Lords of Discipline" and have moved onto Binnie Kirshenbaum's "Pure Poetry".