Monday, October 14, 2002

Art

One of the nice things about the art world is how incestuous it is. Andy Warhol painted Marilyn Monroe, Gracy Slick painted Bob Marley, Tracy Chevalier wrote a book called, “Girl with a Pearl Earring” from a Dutch painting she saw, inventing a story behind the portrait. I’m always inspired by art, whether it’s another musician or a beautiful sculpture or just a simple sketch; art makes me want to create more art. So I was sweetly surprised when, following a show, I was contacted by a painter, James Poff, who was interested in my posing for a watercolor. Intrigued, flattered and curious to say the least, I accepted. After sending me a few scans of his artwork I was convinced this would be a beneficial experience for the both of us. On a cool Sunday afternoon, I drove up 94 West to St. Cloud for the 3rd weekend in a row for a sitting at James’s place. I arrived early, we deliberated over outfits and finally sat down for pictures and initial sketches. Very quickly I got caught up in the excitement of posing. The quiet focus involved is practically overpowering. I felt almost smothered in silence. Weird I know. Finally, we got down to some serious immobility; I had to maintain my position for 20 minutes, then a quick 2 minute stretch, repeated over and over again. James was kind and patient throughout the ordeal, but the minute he mentioned a finger or ear being the “center of attention” for the next few moments I instantly needed to move that part of my body. I itched in the strangest places, sweat was running in rivulets down the center of my back, soaking my poor little bottom which was precariously balanced on a fragile bar stool. Accustomed to the strain and stress of yoga, boxing, walking and aerobics, I had mistakenly assumed this statuesque pose would be a breeze for my healthy carcass. I was sadly mistaken. A mere 60 seconds into the sitting sweat began to trickle down my back. The loose and languid pose James had tried valiantly to manipulate was becoming a mockery. There wasn’t a serene bone in my body; I ached from head to toe and every crevice in between. My mind was focused on remaining still so my body was reacting completely opposite. I was a miserable failure. I seriously hope the sitting was productive for Mr. Painter man and I'm glad I got to be a part of it, but I'm just not cut out for this kind of physical labor. Oh well...chalk it up to a new experience I guess : )