Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Terami & Natalie & Nina

I was at the "Collected Sounds" house concert last night where Terami Hirsch, Natalie Wattre and...I played. I wasn't really on the bill but Terami was kind enough to invite me up on stage. Cool huh? It was an intimate gathering that went pretty late. The highlight of the evening was chatting after the show. As an independent musician it's easy to become isolated from your peers and even your following so it's nice to keep in touch with ones contemporaries.

As far as travel tunes go...I've been listening to Eva Cassidy's "Live at Blues Alley" - it's magnificent. She had a gorgeous voice and the most eclectic taste in music! And after hearing about Nina Simone's death last week I made a quick trip to the music store to clean house on her compilations. I purchased a few discs that were missing from my CD collection and even an Ella Fitzgerald mix of old spirituals. So it's been blues and jazz for about 2 weeks straight. Phrases like 'aching heart', 'do I quiver?' and "train a comin' have crept into my vocabulary. For a pasty white Irish girl...I think I relate to the blues rather well.